Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cider House

Yesterday was the first Cyclocross event here in the Lacrosse area.
A tough weekend to get a big turn out with all the other races going on in the Upper Midwest, but you have to start some where. 
Fields were small but excitement was high and owners of the Apple Orchard were happy
to have the extra lot of people through their shop. 
The course consisted of a couple access roads through the lower orchard with some nasty sand sections. Then it wrapped past the bee hives and up a good sized hill similar to the one at Green Archers CX just a touch longer and less rode in. From there it twisted through the upper section of the Apple trees then back down a loose double track to another sand pit and then into some ill put barriers  and then all over again. 
I got there early enough to scope out the course and test my gear. 
I got to watch one off camber corner that was pinching and rolling tires off,, then watched someone 
pitch their front wheel in the same hole and high side it to his collarbone. Not sure if he broke it but i needed to help him down the hill. 
I put an extra tooth on the rig and was set to go. 
5 of us at the line and we headed up the road into the wind up the false flat. 
I went to the front to get through the sand and get to the climb first,, when local 
legend and native Hill Pig ,, Chris Ames on his shifting bike came around,,, he was able to 
stretch out a gap on me that I could not shut down,, he was getting a big pull
on the double track and then back up the false flat section.
Gaps started to form and at this point I just wanted to point the rig and make this cx racing look good for the hand full of folks watching. 
The Nature Boy rode like a dream, solid on the tight twisty sections and mashed the climbing, I do wish for some tubeless tires soon but if wishes we assholes???
Up next we are going to get the Pip home and then Her and I will head up to the 612 for the end-of -season party.. and Maybe Bandit Cross or just a team group ride.
Then back off to Ripon for their Cross race the Cookie Cross.
I was going to go to the cities and race today,, but gas and entry plus nasty winds did not sound good. 
I'll get out on the Mountain Bike and enjoy a nice slow sunday.. 
Get up get out and RIDE YOUR BIKE!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment