Sunday, January 26, 2014

Revert

Weather is all that is talked about in these parts any more. 
Yes it has been cold and seems to snow every other day,, not a lot of snow but just enough to make the roads messy. And the wind machine has been on high for what seems like weeks.
The weather is what it is and can't be controlled by us mere mortals. 
This is the same weather minus the snow that drove Anna and I from Wisco some 
twenty years ago. 
We were second year college students that stayed at school for winter break. 
Living in a cold drafty college house and having to walk or ride a bike anywhere the cold finally broke us and we split as soon as the semester was done.   
No escape like that happening anytime soon,
things are much different now that we are card carrying adults.
But if we could we would split.
The past few day I have been able to get out and ski,, would like to ski during the week after work but with the cold and the wind it is hard to motivate to ski in the dark 
when the conditions are so harsh. 
Yesterday the snow was cold and slow even with the Teal wax their was no much gliding...
So with the wind whipped golf course I just stayed in the woods doing repeats,, which was good hard work after lifting in the morning and sk8te boarding with the boy.
Today the skiing was 100% better,, with a fresh 4inches of snow
on the ground the groomers had gotten after the trails and rolled out some nice new corduroy.
Did not change the wax and was a bit worried about that as the temps were warmer today.
The snow was soft but with the firm skate deck under movement was much faster than I expected.
I kept to the woods loving the monochrome of the fresh pounding the hills and enjoying the silence I skied till my legs were noodles. A touch over an hour and 20k with 1000 feet of climbing and I started to wounder if I was going to be able to ride the skateboard with the boy.

 It has been fun to watch the boy figure out this st8teboard thing over the past few months, and now that i have sucked up my pride and am willing to pay for him to skate at the local hole in the wall indoor skate park, I am starting to see him progress. 
I started when I was his age but things have changed a huge ton of a lot between then and now. 
He is dropping in and working on getting him self up to the coping kick turns and soon some rocktofake's. He keeps saying that we need to live somewhere warmer so he can skate all winter out side.. Can't say that I disagree with him,,, But for now this is where we are and our trip to Arizona can't get here fast enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment